How Do I Choose a Home Inspector?
Category : Blog
As with most things, referrals from family and friends are invaluable in the search for a home inspector. In addition to recommendations, though, here are some things to look for in an inspector:
- No conflict of interest—Under no circumstance should you use an inspector who stands to gain from the sale of the property. This would include an inspector who is also the real estate agent or a family member of the real estate agent. You should also be leery of an inspector who will gain from the suggested repairs.
- Certification or Licensing—Requirements for home inspectors is not required in the UAE, but make sure the inspector chosen meets an international home inspection standard.
- Professional organizations—do exist that dictate the proper conduct for home inspectors. Find out if the potential inspector belongs to any. Here is a partial list of national home inspector organizations:
- The International Association of Certified Home Inspectors (NACHI)
- Independent Home Inspectors of North America (IHINA)
- American Society of Home Inspectors (ASHI)
- National Association of Home Inspectors, Inc. (NAHI)
These groups usually have stringent guidelines for membership. Most also have directories of member home inspectors. In the absence of trusted friend or family referrals, these associations are excellent sources for references. Armed with a bit of knowledge, potential homebuyers can make their Dream a reality. An inspection from a reliable, trusted home inspector can mean the difference between a true dream home and a nightmarish money pit– or worse.